Supporting Phonics at Home
At Wareham St. Mary Primary School we believe phonics is most effective when children are given plenty of encouragement and learn to enjoy reading and books. Parents play an important role in helping with this and at Wareham St. Mary Primary School, we aim to support parents with this through regular communications such as reading records and home learning.
Here you will find suggested web links, videos and strategies to help you support your child's phonics learning at home.
Strategies and ideas to help at home
- Let your child see you enjoying reading yourself and reading stories to them.
- Take a trip to your local library and let your child choose books.
- Make time for your child to read school books to you regularly.
- Help your child practice reading key words and sounds when these are sent home.
- Play eye spy games.
- We love Alphablocks on CBeebies!
- Please remember to communicate with your child's teacher through their reading record so we know how they get on.
Suggested web links
Use our Letterjoin link to practice letter formation.
Use our Bug Club link to play phonics games and access additional reading books.
Use our link to Phonics Play to access free phonics games for your child to enjoy.
If you need support accessing your login details for Letterjoin or Bug Club please contact your class teacher.